Are you feeling the chill?
It’s that time of year again.
No, not Christmas – although according to the kids it’s only 6 weeks and 9 days away, but who’s counting?!
Clocks go back, nights are long and that crispy chill calls for winter coats and oversized scarfs – I LOVE IT!
I realise this makes me a bit of an alien. Specially since I was raised in Lisbon where it’s not entirely unheard of to wear shorts in November – or so my sister tells me.
Well, if you’ve got her perfect pins, there’s always a good excuse (not jealous, obviously).
Fabulous time of year to catch colds too. Which gets in the way of working out and compromises your loud, resounding voice that scares the kids back to bed. So no sweat and less sleep. Basically, life as you know it is put on hold.
A simple and healthy trick?! Bring more of that Mighty Turmeric into your life. This root is so supercharged with plant powers that it’s off the charts good for you.
Turmeric was a revelation. For the best part of 30 years I totally ignored it. Suddenly, as I start to take interest in eating healthy, I found this little guy who’s seriously punching above its weight! To the point that it’s my first port of call when I’m feeling under the weather. That’s pretty cool, considering how liberally I used to take paracetamol for every ache and pain.
Here’s 4 reasons why more turmeric is a great idea:
1. Great to fight colds. I tried it myself.
2. It’s an amazing anti-inflammatory. It has been used in Chinese and Indian medicine for thousands of years.
3. Can help prevent cancer and other nasty stuff like Alzheimer disease (never too early to start prevention, ladies!)
4. Just a small amount is enough to see benefits. You don’t need to add 3 tablespoons to your morning smoothie, thank God. We’re talking a few teaspoons here.
The trick is to add enough to see the benefits but not so much that you can’t taste anything else. You can either use ground turmeric or the fresh root, if you can get your hands on it.
Here are 3 easy ways to do it:
- Blend it in your smoothie. Either fresh (about 3 cm) or a couple of ground turmeric teaspoons will do.
- Mix it in your energy balls recipe. Check out my recipe for Chocolatey-Orange Energy Balls and add 3 teaspoons of ground turmeric. You’ll be getting that goodness in without realising it.
- Sprinkle it over your vegetables. Use 2-3 teaspoons of ground turmeric before popping them in the oven. Works wonders with cauliflower. Check out my Healing Cauliflower and Quinoa Bowl Recipe for the how-to details.
Check out that bright yellow cauliflower :)))
Are you out and about? Swap your regular Americano for a Turmeric Latte (with a shot of coffee – always coffee). Soul warming.
Don’t wait for the cold either! Prevention: start getting more of that mighty turmeric in your life now and you may just not get it in the first place.
The other thing I love is to have some good old warm water with lemon, ginger and honey. Add a blanket and your favourite box set. It may not save the world. But it feels bloody good.
What are your tips to keep those colds away?
Embrace the chill, darling. That scarf will look so good on you!